"And this trip is a hard swallow of my pride"

Alvin: I'd give each one of 'em a stick and, one for each one of 'em, then I'd say, 'You break that.' Course they could real easy. Then I'd say, 'Tie them sticks in a bundle and try to break that.' Course they couldn't. Then I'd say, "That bundle... that's family."

* * *
Alvin Straight: You don't think about getting old when you're young... you shouldn't.
Cyclist #1: Must be something good about gettin' old?
Alvin Straight: Well I can't imagine anything good about being blind and lame at the same time but, still at my age I've seen about all that life has to dish out. I know to separate the wheat from the chaff, and let the small stuff fall away.
Cyclist #2: So, uh, what's the worst part about being old, Alvin?
Alvin Straight: Well, the worst part of being old is rememberin' when you was young.

* * * 
Alvin Straight: Anger, vanity, you mix that together with liquor, you've got two brothers that haven't spoken in ten years. Ah, whatever it was that made me and Lyle so mad... don't matter anymore. I want to make peace, I want to sit with him, look up at the stars... like we used to do, so long ago.

* * *
[last lines]
Lyle Straight, Alvin's Brother: Did you ride that thing all the way out here to see me?
Alvin Straight: I did, Lyle.

* * *

De vez em quando é sempre bom a gente ser lembrado que o caminho muitas vezes é mais importante do que o destino, seja o que for que nos aguarda lá na frente. E melhor ainda quando temos uma história tão simples e tão comovente pra mostrar isso, com um velhinho tão fofo e simpático, sempre disposto a compartilhar um pouco da bagagem que eles têm com estranhos.

Daí você se lembra que o mesmo David Lynch que faz maluquices como Cidade dos Sonhos consegue fazer uma pérola como esse História Real (The Straight Story).
2 Responses
  1. lipe fonseca Says:

    gostei do seu blog, vou linkar, ok? valeu pela visita. abração.


  2. Unknown Says:

    Juro que não tinha lido! :)